Connect with us

World News

Protests against new Peruvian president leave two dead

Published

on

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Eva Deschamps / December 12, 2022

Two people died and at least five people were injured Sunday in growing protests against Peruvian President Dina Boluarte after the failed coup and the arrest of former President Pedro Castillo.

 

In a sign of rising tension, a congressional session on the situation in the country was suspended after incidents. Images posted on social networks show a man punching another man from behind in an aisle of the chamber and then a shoving match in the center of it, without it being possible to know the cause. The session was still suspended early Sunday evening.

Advertisement

 

The protests multiplied through the country, notably in the cities of the north and the Andes. Thousands of people mobilized in the streets of Cajamarca, Arequipa, Tacna, Andahuaylas, Cusco and Puno, demanding the liberation of the former head of the state and new elections and calling for a national strike.

 

We regret the death of two people and several injured in clashes. I urge the population to remain calm”, declared the Minister of the Interior César Cervantes to the radio RPP, shortly after a first assessment of the police making report of a dead – a teenager – and five wounded.

Advertisement

 

“The life of no Peruvian deserves to be sacrificed for political interests. I reiterate my call for dialogue and renunciation of violence,” the president said on Twitter.

 

The day before, clashes in Andahuaylas (south) left 20 people injured (16 civilians and 4 police). The violence resumed on Sunday with police firing tear gas and stone throwing by demonstrators.

Advertisement

 

Reinforcements of riot police were to arrive by plane to contain the demonstrations, police said.

 

Andahuaylas, located in the region of Apurimac, is the region of origin of Mrs. Boluarte, described as “traitor” by supporters of the deposed ex-president.

Advertisement

 

The police station in Huancabamba, a town in Apurimac, was set on fire, according to RPP radio.

 

In Lima, between 1.000 and 2.000 people demonstrated in front of the Congress to the cries of “Castillo you are not alone, the people supports you” and brandishing placards accusing “Dina (Boluarte) and the Congress” of being “corrupt rats”. They were dispersed with tear gas Sunday in the beginning of evening.

Advertisement

 

Lima has always turned its back on Mr. Castillo, a rural teacher and union leader disconnected from the elites, while he was supported by the Andean regions since the 2021 elections.

 

Agrarian unions and peasant and indigenous social organizations called on Sunday for an “indefinite strike” starting Tuesday, rejecting the Congress and demanding early elections and a new constitution.

Advertisement

 

According to the communiqué of the Agrarian and Rural Front of Peru, which demands the “immediate release” of Mr. Castillo, he “did not perpetrate a coup d’état” when he tried on December 7 to dissolve the Parliament and to establish a state of emergency.

 

He was arrested a few hours later by his own bodyguard as he went to the Mexican embassy to seek political asylum. He is accused of “rebellion ».

Advertisement

 

Boluarte, vice president until her inauguration on December 7 after Castillo’s impeachment, formed a government on Saturday with an independent and technical profile, with a former prosecutor, Pedro Angulo, as prime minister.

 

“So far, the president has not been clear on the big question: is this a transitional government or a government that intends to stay until 2026?” political analyst Giovanna Peñaflor told AFP.

Advertisement

 

The demand for new elections is associated with a massive rejection of the Congress: according to polls in November, 86% of Peruvians disapprove of the Parliament.

 

On Friday, Boluarte did not rule out calling early elections to find a peaceful way out of the political crisis.

Advertisement

 

Meanwhile, the theory, put forward by Mr. Castillo’s former chief of staff and lawyer, that the former president was drugged without his knowledge during his failed coup attempt, is stirring up the country.

 

In a letter that Mr. Castillo allegedly wrote in prison, he claims that a “camouflaged” doctor and nurses and a “faceless” (hooded) prosecutor “forced” him to take blood samples without his consent, citing a “Machiavellian plan.

Advertisement

 

The president of the Institute of Forensic Medicine, Francisco Brizuela, said that the former president had “refused to submit” to the tests.

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending