Connect with us

World News

War in Ukraine: US urges Ukraine to consider negotiations with Russia

Published

on

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Sylvie Claire / November 20, 2022

The United States is increasingly calling on Ukraine to be open to peace negotiations with Russia, with a senior Pentagon official saying it will be difficult for Kiev forces to reclaim territory won by Moscow during the war.

 

U.S. Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley stressed Wednesday that U.S. support has not wavered, but said Kiev is in a good position to start talks as its soldiers are managing to hold out against Russia.

Advertisement

 

He said the Russians are now strengthening their grip on 20 percent of Ukrainian territory and that the front lines from the city of Kharviv to Kherson are stabilizing.

“The probability of a Ukrainian military victory, consisting of driving the Russians out of all of Ukraine, including … Crimea, the probability of this happening soon is not high, militarily speaking,” he said.

“There can be a political solution where, politically, the Russians withdraw, that’s possible,” Mark Milley added.

Advertisement

 

The White House reiterated Friday that only Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was in a position to approve the opening of negotiations between Ukraine and Russia, rejecting any notion of American pressure on Kiev.

 

We also said it was up to President Zelensky to say if and when he would be ready for negotiations and what form those negotiations would take,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters.

Advertisement

“No one in the United States is encouraging him, pushing him or pushing him to the negotiating table,” he said.

But earlier this month, Volodymyr Zelensky signaled that he no longer required Vladimir Putin’s departure to begin negotiations, a change of course that came after pressure from the White House.

 

American support for Ukraine remains strong. This week the White House asked Congress to provide an additional $38 billion in support to Kiev.

Advertisement

But at the same time the executive branch did not contradict the view of General Mark Milley, who said last week in New York that Ukraine had suffered 100,000 battlefield deaths and injuries – a figure close to that estimated for the Russian army – and 40,000 civilian casualties.

 

These numbers could rise further if Ukraine persists in fighting to try to regain its pre-2014 borders, Mark Milley further suggested.

In particular, he compared the situation to World War I, when both sides were mired in a conflict that killed a million people between August and December 1914, with a stabilized front line and an unwillingness to hold peace talks. Four years later, at the end of 1918, 20 million people had died.

Advertisement

“So when there is an opportunity to negotiate, when peace can be achieved, seize it,” he said.

 

Mark Milley’s comments have raised concerns that the U.S. wants to revisit Kiev’s goal of reclaiming all Russian-occupied land, including Crimea and Donbass, which Ukraine lost control of in 2014.

Charles Kupchan, a professor at Georgetown University, believes that the Biden administration is probably trying to ensure that the door remains open to negotiations, and that Mark Milley is simply already “looking a little more ahead. »

Advertisement

 

I don’t think it’s premature. I think it’s prudent. The Russians and Ukrainians should keep the possibility that there is a diplomatic way,” he said.

And it is also a signal to Volodymyr Zelensky, whose statements are testing the patience of some allies.

“Zelensky, understandably, is getting a little hot under the collar and saying things that allies may not like,” Kupchan said.

Advertisement

He adds that the White House is trying to get ahead of any pressure from European allies to end the war before Kiev is ready.

“The Biden administration wants to move slowly, to make sure the transatlantic consensus remains strong. »

Chris TDL Organizations is a Multinational parent managing company or multiple marketing and brand management entities.

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending