Connect with us

World News

Shot at, they had no chance: six dead, including two police officers, in Australia

Published

on

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / December 13, 2022

 

Six people, including two young police officers, died in a shooting and siege of a remote property in the Australian state of Queensland, police said Tuesday.
 
Four police officers arrived late Monday afternoon at a tree-lined property near the small eastern town of Wieambilla. “As soon as they entered the property, they were riddled with gunfire … they didn’t stand a chance,” said Queensland police union president Ian Leavers.
 
“Two police officers were executed in cold blood,” he added. Those killed have been identified as Rachel McCrow, 26, and Matthew Arnold, 29. Both had joined law enforcement within the past two years.
 
“These officers made the ultimate sacrifice to keep our community safe,” Queensland Police Commander Katarina Carroll said, holding back tears. A 58-year-old neighbor was also shot and “pronounced dead at the scene,” police said. An investigation was underway Tuesday.
 
Two other police officers survived the shooting and were taken to hospital with minor injuries. Among them was a policewoman whom the suspects had tried to dislodge from the brush where she had been hiding, sending desperate messages to her relatives, local media reported.
Aerial images of the scene show an ordinary bungalow with a zinc roof, a burnt vehicle and smoke still around the property.
 
After the first shots were fired, a special response team of more than a dozen members was dispatched to the scene, backed by air support.
 
Shortly after 10:30 p.m. local time, after a siege lasting several hours, three suspects – two men and a woman – died. Their identities have not been released by the police.
 
Law enforcement was conducting a search regarding the 2021 disappearance of a former elementary school principal, according to local media. The property was registered to the missing man’s brother and sister-in-law, according to local media.
 
The missing man’s brother was a regular contributor to conspiracy theory sites that denounced “secret societies” and the alleged conduct of “false flag operations” by secret intelligence agents, according to local media.
 
Shootings are rare in Australia, which has some of the strictest gun legislation in the world.
A ban on automatic and semi-automatic weapons has been in place since a 1996 shooting in Port Arthur, Tasmania, when a lone gunman shot 35 people.
 
Premier Anthony Albanese called the events in Wieambilla “horrific” and said it was a “heartbreaking day for the families and friends of Queensland police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty. Queensland state officials ordered flags on government buildings to be flown at half-mast.

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending