Connect with us

World News

Russia has the right to use nuclear weapons: former president Medvedev reiterates his threats on the last day of annexation votes

Published

on

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Steph Deschamps / September 28, 2022

Russia threatened again on Tuesday to use nuclear weapons, on the last day of the annexation referendums it is organizing in four regions of Ukraine, denounced as “shams” by Kiev and its allies. The former president and number two of the Russian Security Council Dmitry Medvedev assured that Moscow will defend these new territories that it intends to incorporate after these votes, “including with strategic nuclear weapons ».
 
Asked whether these statements represented the official position of the Kremlin, its spokesman Dmitry Peskov recalled the Russian military doctrine, which provides for the possibility of nuclear strikes if territories considered Russian by Moscow are attacked. However, after the referenda, “in these territories, there will be cardinal changes from the legal point of view, from the point of view of international law and because of all the respective consequences (of the measures taken) to ensure security,” said Peskov.
 
These nuclear threats, which are taken seriously in the West, come on the last day of annexation votes organized by Moscow in the separatist regions of Donetsk and Lugansk (east) and the Russian-occupied regions of Kherson and Zaporijjia (south). The results could be announced as early as Tuesday evening or Wednesday.
 
These polls, organized in a hurry in the face of the success of the Ukrainian counteroffensive launched in early September, follow the pattern of the annexation of Crimea in 2014. These five regions represent a little more than 20% of Ukraine’s surface. Vladimir Putin assured Tuesday that these votes were aimed at “saving the local populations”, Moscow justifying its invasion by accusing Kiev of Nazism and orchestrating an alleged genocide of Russian speakers.
 
The G7 countries have vowed to “never recognize” their results, while Washington has promised a “severe” response through additional economic sanctions. The EU considers these “referendums” as “illegal” and all those who participated in their organization will be sanctioned, said the spokesman for the head of European diplomacy Josep Borrell. Even China, Russia’s main partner, has voiced criticism without going so far as to denounce them.
 
The authorities set up by Moscow in the areas to be annexed have assured us that “provisional results” should be announced at the earliest on Tuesday evening or in the following days. The Russian Parliament will then have to vote on a text formalizing the integration of the four regions into Russia. “What do we expect from this event? Stability, economic stability and confidence in the future,” said the leader of the Lugansk separatists, Leonid Passetchnik.
 
At the same time, Russia continues to mobilize its reserves to recruit 300,000 fighters for its invasion of Ukraine, seeking to counter the counter-offensive by Ukrainian troops who, with the help of Western arms supplies, took back thousands of square kilometers of territory in early September.
 
This recruitment campaign, conducted at times in a chaotic manner, has pushed many Russians to leave the country, an exodus confirmed on Tuesday by two of the country’s neighbors, Georgia and Kazakhstan, while an influx is also observed on the borders of Mongolia and Finland.
 
Georgia reported 10,000 Russians crossing the border every day since the mobilization was announced. Kazakhstan reported that 98,000 Russian citizens have arrived since September 21. Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has promised to protect Russians fleeing to Kazakhstan, a traditional Russian ally that has distanced itself from the invasion of Ukraine.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

In front of Tucker Carlson, Vladimir Putin ironizes on the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines.

Published

on

In front of Tucker Carlson, Vladimir Putin ironizes on the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines., Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 3 minutes
Steph Deschamps / February 10, 2024
 
Nearly two years after the start of the war in Ukraine, the Russian president was interviewed by the former Fox News star host, who is hardly critical of Moscow.
 
A joke and a laugh, proving that Vladimir Putin was rather relaxed for his first interview with a Western journalist since the start of the war in Ukraine. The Russian president was interviewed on Thursday February 8 by former Fox News star Tucker Carlson, who is not very critical of Moscow. Vladimir Putin took advantage of this favorable interlocutor to slip in a little joke.
 
The conservative journalist, who is close to Donald Trump, asked the Kremlin leader about the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines in September 2022.
  
“Who blew up Nord Stream?” he asked. “You did,” Vladimir Putin replied with a smirk. With an embarrassed laugh, Tucker Carlson continued: “I was too busy that day. I didn’t blow up Nord Stream”. “You personally have an alibi, but the CIA doesn’t,” retorted the Russian president, more seriously.
 
The explosion of the Nord Stream 1 and 2 gas pipelines on September 26, 2022, causing four huge gas leaks into the international waters of the Baltic Sea, has given rise to numerous nebulous theories on Russia’s part. Many of these point to Ukraine’s responsibility.
 
Various media investigations have attributed this responsibility to Ukraine, Russia or the USA, but all have denied it. Three investigations have been opened into the matter, in Germany, Sweden and Denmark. The Swedish investigation was the first to end on Wednesday, without any prosecution.
 
“There is no indication that Sweden or Swedish citizens were involved in this attack, which took place in international waters,” the Swedish prosecutor said in a statement. “The conclusion of the investigation is that it is not within Swedish jurisdiction and that the investigation should therefore be closed,” he said.
 
In addition to the Nord Stream sabotage, Vladimir Putin also spoke at length with Tucker Carlson about the war in Ukraine. In particular, he felt that a Russian defeat in Ukraine was “impossible”. “It will never happen [defeat]. It seems to me that now, those in power in the West are also aware of this,” added the man who launched the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
 
In his two-hour message to America and the West, he also said: “If you really want to stop the fighting, you must stop supplying arms”, in reference to Western aid to Kiev, as Politico points out. He added: “The situation will be resolved in a few weeks. » 
  
The Kremlin leader also ruled out an invasion of Poland or Latvia. “Can you imagine a scenario in which you send Russian troops into Poland?” asked Tucker Carlson. “Only in one scenario, if Poland attacks Russia,” Vladimir Putin replied.
 
The Russian president also took the view that the election of a new US president, scheduled for November 5and expected to pit Republican Donald Trump against Democrat Joe Biden, would not change relations between the United States and Russia.
 
Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin are both full of praise for each other. The former has boasted, without further elaboration, that he could resolve the war in Ukraine in 24 hours if re-elected. President Joe Biden, on the other hand, has described his Russian counterpart as a war criminal, and is unwavering in his support for Kiev.
Continue Reading

World News

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Prince Harry to visit UK

Published

on

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Prince Harry to visit UK, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / February 7, 2024

 

The 75-year-old British monarch was diagnosed with cancer during prostate surgery ten days ago.
 
Prince Harry, exiled to the USA with his family, has spoken to his father King Charles III after his cancer diagnosis and will visit him in the UK in the next few days, the British news agency PA quoted a source close to the Duke of Sussex as saying.
 
The 75-year-old British monarch was diagnosed with cancer during prostate surgery ten days ago, and has begun treatment, although he has no plans to cease all activities, Buckingham Palace announced on Monday.
 
Charles’s youngest son, who lives in California with his wife Meghan and their two children, will therefore be returning to British soil despite notorious tensions with his father and older brother William, the source said. For security reasons, details of his trip to the UK have not been released.
 
Harry, 39, and his wife Meghan, 42, relinquished their royal duties in early 2020 due to conflicts and tensions, including accusations of racism, and media pressure.
 
The couple subsequently continued to criticize the British establishment, through an uncompromising autobiography by the prince, a documentary series on Netflix and an interview with the influential Oprah Winfrey.
 
Since the funeral of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II in September 2022, Prince Harry has made only one whirlwind trip to his father’s coronation on May 6, 2023 – without Meghan – and another a few weeks later to testify in a trial pitting him against a tabloid newspaper, against which he is waging numerous legal battles.
Continue Reading

World News

Second day in hospital for King Charles III

Published

on

Second day in hospital for King Charles III, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / January 29, 2024

 

King Charles III, who underwent prostate surgery on Friday, is spending his second day in a London clinic on Saturday, where he was visited by his wife Camilla.
 
The 75-year-old king arrived with Camilla at the London Clinic on Friday morning, where Kate, wife of Crown Prince William, who underwent abdominal surgery last week, is also hospitalized.
 
Shortly after Charles’ operation, the Queen told people inside the clinic on Friday afternoon that Charles was “doing well”, according to British media reports. It was not specified when he would be discharged.
 
Camilla visited him mid-day on Saturday for around three hours.
 
Last week, Le Palais announced its diagnosis of prostate hypertrophy, to encourage screening for this very common and generally harmless condition in men of a certain age.
 
The Palais insisted on the routine nature of this procedure, which affects “thousands of men every year ».
 
Charles III, who succeeded Elizabeth II in September 2022, had cancelled several public engagements last week to rest. Following his operation, he will have to undergo a “short period” of convalescence, the duration of which has not been specified.
 
Princess Kate, 42, has been hospitalized at the London Clinic since January 16. The pathology from which she suffers has not been revealed.
 
The princely couple’s departments assured us that her abdominal surgery had been “successful”, and asked that her privacy be respected, demanding “that her personal medical information remain confidential”. The only information leaked by the monarchy was that it was not cancer.
 
On January 17, the princely couple’s staff indicated that she would have to remain in hospital for ten to fourteen days. She is unlikely to resume her public activities before the end of March.
 
Prince William has cancelled a number of public engagements while she recovers from her operation.
Continue Reading

Trending