Connect with us

World News

Plane crash in Nepal: first bodies returned to families

Published

on

By

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Steph Deschamps / January 17, 2023

The bodies of the victims of the plane crash in Nepal began Tuesday to be returned to their families two days after this air disaster, the worst in the country since 1992.
 
The plane, a twin-engine ATR 72 belonging to Nepalese company Yeti Airlines, carrying 68 passengers and four crew members, crashed into a ravine on Sunday while approaching Pokhara airport (center).
 
All the occupants of the plane, including 15 foreigners and six children, are presumed dead, authorities said.
 
Rescuers have been working almost non-stop since the crash to recover human remains from the pile of charred wing parts, fuselage and seats at the bottom of the 300-meter deep ravine.
 
By Tuesday morning, 70 bodies out of 72 had been recovered, police officer AK Chhetri told AFP.
 
We recovered a body last night. But it is three pieces. We are not sure if it is three bodies or one. This will only be confirmed after a DNA test,” he explained. 
 
“The search for the other two missing bodies has resumed. We have mobilized four drones today for this purpose, and we have extended the search radius to three kilometers instead of two,” he added.
 
A dozen bodies were transported in an army truck from the hospital in Pokhara to the airport to be sent to the capital Kathmandu. Three were returned to their families in Pokhara, and several others were expected to follow on Tuesday.
 
God has taken such a nice person away from us,” lamented Raj Dhungana, the uncle of 23-year-old passenger Sangita Shahi, outside the hospital in Pokhara.
 
All the family “is in mourning” after the disappearance of this young woman “very talented”, who was studying in Kathmandu while holding a makeup studio and an online store, he told AFP.
 
The ATR 72, coming from Kathmandu, crashed shortly before 11:00 am on Sunday near the airport of Pokhara, Nepal’s second largest city, a pilgrimage center and an important crossing point for foreign trekkers.
 
The cause of the accident was not yet known, but a video posted on social networks – verified by an AFP partner – showed the twin-engine plane turning sharply to the left as it approached the airport, suggesting a loud explosion.
 
Experts consulted by the AFP were not able to judge, from this video, if the accident seemed rather due to a mechanical problem or to a piloting error.
 
The black boxes of the aircraft have not yet been found. Experts of the French Bureau of Accident Investigation (BEA) were expected in Nepal on Tuesday, said the manufacturer ATR to AFP.
 
According to the Press Trust of India (PTI), the pilot, Anju Khatiwada, had joined the Nepalese civil aviation after the death of her husband, killed in the accident of a small passenger plane in 2006.
 
Nepalese civil aviation, essential to supply remote regions of the country and to transport trekkers and mountaineers, has experienced a real boom in recent years.
 
But the sector suffers from serious safety problems due to deficiencies in aircraft maintenance and pilot training. The European Union has banned all Nepalese carriers from entering its airspace for these reasons.
 
Nepal also has some of the most remote runways in the world, flanked by towering peaks, making the approach a challenge even for experienced pilots.
 
The deadliest air disaster in Nepal’s history occurred in September 1992. All 167 occupants of a Pakistan International Airlines Airbus A300 died when the plane crashed on the approach to Kathmandu.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending