Connect with us

World News

Mine collapse in China leaves at least 4 dead and dozens missing

Published

on

Mine collapse in China leaves at least 4 dead and dozens missing, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / February 24, 2023

The collapse of a mining site in China has left at least four people dead, according to a new count announced Thursday by state media, as the search for dozens of missing people resumed after a pause following a landslide.
 
Workers were buried at around 1 p.m. Wednesday when a 180-meter-high hill collapsed at an open-pit coal mine in western Inner Mongolia, according to CCTV. 
 
Hundreds of rescuers were dispatched to the scene of the tragedy, located in the left banner of Alxa –name of an administrative area in the region.  Rescue operations had been halted after a landslide on Wednesday night, but have since resumed, CCTV reported Thursday, saying the count was now four dead, six injured and 49 missing.
 
The channel aired footage of rescuers in orange jumpsuits and yellow helmets amidst a mountain of rust-colored rubble as well as shovels clearing some of the debris. “We had just returned to work. Around 1:15 p.m., we saw that rocks were starting to fall from the top of the hill. It was getting louder and louder,” a surviving worker, Ma Jianping, told CCTV. “It was decided to evacuate the area. But it was already too late. The whole hill collapsed,” he said, lying on his hospital bed.
 
The injured are all in stable condition, a doctor at the hospital told the station. The cause of the tragedy is not yet known. The Xinjing Coal Mining Company, the operator of the mine site according to CCTV, did not respond to phone calls from AFP on Thursday.
 
The reasons for the collapse are currently being investigated” and “the personnel involved”, a term that probably refers to mine officials, have been arrested, CCTV said, citing the authorities.
 
A video posted on social media — reportedly posted by a truck driver carrying coal — shows rocks cascading down a slope raising clouds of brown dust that engulf several vehicles. “The whole slope collapsed (…) How many people died because of this?” a male voice calls out in the background. “If I had been in line there today, I would have died in there too.” Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday night ordered local authorities to “do everything possible to search and rescue the missing people,” according to CCTV.
 
Alxa’s Left Banner is a sparsely populated area of Inner Mongolia, whose economy is largely based on mining.
Mine safety has improved over the past few decades in the country, as has the reporting of these incidents, many of which were once kept quiet. But accidents still occur regularly, due to the inherent danger of the industry and the sometimes haphazard application of safety procedures.
 
In late December, 40 people were working underground when a gold mine collapsed in the northwestern region of Xinjiang and 22 were rescued. In December 2021, two miners who were trapped in a flooded coal mine in Shanxi (North) died and 20 others were rescued after rescue operations. And in September 2021, 19 miners trapped underground after a coal mine collapsed in the northwestern province of Qinghai were found dead after a long search.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

In front of Tucker Carlson, Vladimir Putin ironizes on the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines.

Published

on

In front of Tucker Carlson, Vladimir Putin ironizes on the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines., Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 3 minutes
Steph Deschamps / February 10, 2024
 
Nearly two years after the start of the war in Ukraine, the Russian president was interviewed by the former Fox News star host, who is hardly critical of Moscow.
 
A joke and a laugh, proving that Vladimir Putin was rather relaxed for his first interview with a Western journalist since the start of the war in Ukraine. The Russian president was interviewed on Thursday February 8 by former Fox News star Tucker Carlson, who is not very critical of Moscow. Vladimir Putin took advantage of this favorable interlocutor to slip in a little joke.
 
The conservative journalist, who is close to Donald Trump, asked the Kremlin leader about the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines in September 2022.
  
“Who blew up Nord Stream?” he asked. “You did,” Vladimir Putin replied with a smirk. With an embarrassed laugh, Tucker Carlson continued: “I was too busy that day. I didn’t blow up Nord Stream”. “You personally have an alibi, but the CIA doesn’t,” retorted the Russian president, more seriously.
 
The explosion of the Nord Stream 1 and 2 gas pipelines on September 26, 2022, causing four huge gas leaks into the international waters of the Baltic Sea, has given rise to numerous nebulous theories on Russia’s part. Many of these point to Ukraine’s responsibility.
 
Various media investigations have attributed this responsibility to Ukraine, Russia or the USA, but all have denied it. Three investigations have been opened into the matter, in Germany, Sweden and Denmark. The Swedish investigation was the first to end on Wednesday, without any prosecution.
 
“There is no indication that Sweden or Swedish citizens were involved in this attack, which took place in international waters,” the Swedish prosecutor said in a statement. “The conclusion of the investigation is that it is not within Swedish jurisdiction and that the investigation should therefore be closed,” he said.
 
In addition to the Nord Stream sabotage, Vladimir Putin also spoke at length with Tucker Carlson about the war in Ukraine. In particular, he felt that a Russian defeat in Ukraine was “impossible”. “It will never happen [defeat]. It seems to me that now, those in power in the West are also aware of this,” added the man who launched the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
 
In his two-hour message to America and the West, he also said: “If you really want to stop the fighting, you must stop supplying arms”, in reference to Western aid to Kiev, as Politico points out. He added: “The situation will be resolved in a few weeks. » 
  
The Kremlin leader also ruled out an invasion of Poland or Latvia. “Can you imagine a scenario in which you send Russian troops into Poland?” asked Tucker Carlson. “Only in one scenario, if Poland attacks Russia,” Vladimir Putin replied.
 
The Russian president also took the view that the election of a new US president, scheduled for November 5and expected to pit Republican Donald Trump against Democrat Joe Biden, would not change relations between the United States and Russia.
 
Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin are both full of praise for each other. The former has boasted, without further elaboration, that he could resolve the war in Ukraine in 24 hours if re-elected. President Joe Biden, on the other hand, has described his Russian counterpart as a war criminal, and is unwavering in his support for Kiev.
Continue Reading

World News

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Prince Harry to visit UK

Published

on

King Charles III diagnosed with cancer, Prince Harry to visit UK, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / February 7, 2024

 

The 75-year-old British monarch was diagnosed with cancer during prostate surgery ten days ago.
 
Prince Harry, exiled to the USA with his family, has spoken to his father King Charles III after his cancer diagnosis and will visit him in the UK in the next few days, the British news agency PA quoted a source close to the Duke of Sussex as saying.
 
The 75-year-old British monarch was diagnosed with cancer during prostate surgery ten days ago, and has begun treatment, although he has no plans to cease all activities, Buckingham Palace announced on Monday.
 
Charles’s youngest son, who lives in California with his wife Meghan and their two children, will therefore be returning to British soil despite notorious tensions with his father and older brother William, the source said. For security reasons, details of his trip to the UK have not been released.
 
Harry, 39, and his wife Meghan, 42, relinquished their royal duties in early 2020 due to conflicts and tensions, including accusations of racism, and media pressure.
 
The couple subsequently continued to criticize the British establishment, through an uncompromising autobiography by the prince, a documentary series on Netflix and an interview with the influential Oprah Winfrey.
 
Since the funeral of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II in September 2022, Prince Harry has made only one whirlwind trip to his father’s coronation on May 6, 2023 – without Meghan – and another a few weeks later to testify in a trial pitting him against a tabloid newspaper, against which he is waging numerous legal battles.
Continue Reading

World News

Second day in hospital for King Charles III

Published

on

Second day in hospital for King Charles III, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / January 29, 2024

 

King Charles III, who underwent prostate surgery on Friday, is spending his second day in a London clinic on Saturday, where he was visited by his wife Camilla.
 
The 75-year-old king arrived with Camilla at the London Clinic on Friday morning, where Kate, wife of Crown Prince William, who underwent abdominal surgery last week, is also hospitalized.
 
Shortly after Charles’ operation, the Queen told people inside the clinic on Friday afternoon that Charles was “doing well”, according to British media reports. It was not specified when he would be discharged.
 
Camilla visited him mid-day on Saturday for around three hours.
 
Last week, Le Palais announced its diagnosis of prostate hypertrophy, to encourage screening for this very common and generally harmless condition in men of a certain age.
 
The Palais insisted on the routine nature of this procedure, which affects “thousands of men every year ».
 
Charles III, who succeeded Elizabeth II in September 2022, had cancelled several public engagements last week to rest. Following his operation, he will have to undergo a “short period” of convalescence, the duration of which has not been specified.
 
Princess Kate, 42, has been hospitalized at the London Clinic since January 16. The pathology from which she suffers has not been revealed.
 
The princely couple’s departments assured us that her abdominal surgery had been “successful”, and asked that her privacy be respected, demanding “that her personal medical information remain confidential”. The only information leaked by the monarchy was that it was not cancer.
 
On January 17, the princely couple’s staff indicated that she would have to remain in hospital for ten to fourteen days. She is unlikely to resume her public activities before the end of March.
 
Prince William has cancelled a number of public engagements while she recovers from her operation.
Continue Reading

Trending