Connect with us

World News

Lisa, now a tropical storm, is heading towards Mexico after having hit Belize

Published

on

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Steph Deschamps / November 3, 2022

Lisa, downgraded to a tropical storm, was heading towards Mexico on Thursday after hitting Belize the day before where it caused flooding and property damage.

 

Both Mexico and Belize removed their weather warnings after the ex-hurricane weakened and moved westward at a speed of 16 km/h according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC).

Advertisement

 

The maximum wind speed was reduced to 75 km / h but forecasters warned that the tourist coast of Central America and the Yucatan Peninsula should continue their monitoring.

 

The storm is expected to weaken further to a tropical depression by the end of the day before dissipating over Mexico.

Advertisement

 

Lisa is expected to bring heavy rains to northern Guatemala and southeastern Mexico during the day, before gradually weakening as it moves inland.

 

The NHC predicted that Lisa could bring up to 250 millimeters of rain to parts of Belize, northern Guatemala and southern Mexico.

Advertisement

 

In Guatemala, heavy rains have caused flooding and landslides in the northern department of Peten on the border with Belize.

 

About 143 people were evacuated and 48 remained in a shelter, said Oscar Cossio, secretary of the National Coordination for Disaster Prevention (CONRED), at a press conference. Guatemala has also suspended classes in schools in the north of the country.

Advertisement

 

Lisa had entered the mainland at 21:20 on Wednesday near the mouth of the Sibun River about 15 km southwest of Belize City, where AFP observed heavy rain and winds of up to 140 km/h according to the NHC, with flooded streets and toppled trees.

 

“It’s very dangerous for us” because in Belize “it floods quickly, even with moderate rain,” Jasmin Ayuso, a 21-year-old secretary, told AFP.

Advertisement

 

In addition to issuing a red alert for Lisa on the entire coast, the government of Belize (405,000 inhabitants) had declared a state of emergency in two districts, with a curfew until Thursday at dawn, closing schools and opening shelters.

 

Most businesses also remained closed and some areas were without power. Local media showed damage in Belize City, the country’s former capital on the northern coast, and other nearby communities.

Advertisement

 

In Honduras, due to Lisa’s passage as a tropical storm on Tuesday, authorities had issued an alert for islands and a northern region, which was eventually lifted.

 

El Salvador, which should be relatively unaffected, has however put on alert more than twenty municipalities where risks of flooding or landslides have been identified.

Advertisement

 

Lisa comes three weeks after Category 1 Hurricane Julia tore through the region killing about 100 people, half of them drowned in Honduras, and the rest buried by landslides in Guatemala and El Salvador.

 

According to the NHC, this is the twelfth storm named this season – the hurricane season runs from June to November in the Atlantic. To get a name, a storm must provide winds of at least 63 mph. Last year’s season saw 21 storms receive a name.

Advertisement

Chris TDL Organizations is a Multinational parent managing company or multiple marketing and brand management entities.

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending