Connect with us

World News

In Uganda, the unbearable wait for families after a high school massacre

Published

on

In Uganda, the unbearable wait for families after a high school massacre, Magnate Daily
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Steph Deschamps / June 18, 2023

 

In a morgue in western Uganda, distraught families waited on Sunday to know the fate of their loved ones after the jihadist raid on a high school that left dozens of students horrifically dead.
 
At least 41 people were killed on Friday night, mostly students, in the worst attack of its kind in the country in years.
 
The attack targeted the Lhubiriha high school in Mpondwe, near the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo). Ugandan army and police officials have incriminated members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), an Islamist militia that has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.
 
The victims were attacked with machetes, shot and burned alive in an attack that shocked Uganda and drew strong international condemnation.
 
The assailants fled towards Virunga Park in Congolese territory, also kidnapping six people after their deadly raid, according to the Ugandan army and police, who have promised to free the hostages.
 
Many victims were burned beyond recognition when the assailants set fire to a locked dormitory in the high school, complicating victim identification.
 
At a morgue in Bwera, a town close to the scene of the attack, families wept as the bodies of their loved ones were placed in coffins and taken away for burial.
 
But many other families are still without news of their missing loved ones.
 
The remains of many of the victims of the high school fire have been transferred to the town of Fort Portal, where DNA tests are due to be carried out.
 
The attack on the school is the deadliest in Uganda since the double bombing in Kampala in 2010, which left 76 dead in a raid claimed by the Somali-based Islamist group Shebab.
 
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres described the attack as “appalling”, while Washington, a close ally of Uganda, and the African Union also condemned the bloodshed and offered their condolences.
 
Seventeen students were burned to death in their dormitory and 20 female students were stabbed to death, said Ugandan First Lady and Education Minister Janet Museveni. 
 
A security guard and three other people were also killed, officials said.
 
The army will hunt down “these evil people and they will pay for what they have done”, said Mrs. Museveni on Saturday.
 
But questions have been raised about how the assailants managed to thwart surveillance in a border region with a strong military presence.
 
The school is less than two kilometers from the border with DR Congo, where the ADF are active and are accused of having killed thousands of civilians since the 1990s.
 
Major General Dick Olum told AFP on Saturday that intelligence services had reported an ADF presence in the area at least two days before the attack, stressing the need for an investigation.
 
According to the officer, the assailants had detailed information about the school. 
 
Uganda and DR Congo launched a joint offensive in 2021 to drive the ADF out of their Congolese strongholds, but these operations have so far failed to put an end to the group’s attacks.
 
In June 1998, 80 students were burnt alive in their dormitories during an ADF attack on the Kichwamba Technical Institute near the border with DR Congo.
 
More than 100 students were kidnapped.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending