Connect with us

World News

Hundreds of Russians in front of Alexei Navalny’s grave the day after his funeral

Published

on

Hundreds of Russians in front of Alexei Navalny’s grave the day after his funeral, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Steph Deschamps / March 6, 2024

 

The mother of Alexei Navalny, Vladimir Putin’s main critic who died in prison in troubled circumstances, visited his grave on Saturday, the day after a funeral where thousands of Russians paid tribute to him, risking arrest. A small number of mourners also laid flowers on the grave as police presence continued at the cemetery, near the banks of the Moskova River.
 
Mr. Navalny, the fiercest critic of the Russian president in over a decade, died on February 16 at the age of 47 in an Arctic penal colony, where he was serving a 19-year prison sentence for “extremism”. The multiple trials brought against him had been widely denounced as a way of punishing him for his opposition to Vladimir Putin.
 
Already present when the coffin was laid to rest on Friday, the opponent’s mother, Lyudmila Navalnaya, again visited his grave early Saturday morning, covered in flowers and wreaths, at Borisovo cemetery in southern Moscow. She was accompanied by Alla Abrossimova, the mother of Mr. Navalny’s widow, Yulia Navalnaya.
Yulia Navalnaya, the couple’s two children and Mr. Navalny’s brother live abroad and did not attend the funeral, where they could have been arrested for opposition to the Russian president. Alexei Navalny’s widow has pledged to continue her husband’s work and has repeatedly declared in recent days that Mr. Putin had “murdered” her.
 
On Friday, thousands of Navalny’s supporters had lined up for hours to pay their respects. As they streamed from a nearby church to the cemetery, some chanted “No to war!” and other slogans in support of Navalny, including calling Putin a “murderer” and calling for the “release of political prisoners”. Human rights NGO OVD-Info said Russian police had arrested at least 128 people taking part in tributes to Navalny in 19 cities on Friday.
 
The scenes of thousands of people marching in support of Mr. Navalny, demanding an end to Russia’s assault on Ukraine and castigating the Kremlin, have not been seen in Russia since the first days after Moscow ordered hundreds of thousands of troops to cross the border in late February 2022.
 
Since then, the Kremlin has cracked down hard on dissent and used strict new military censorship laws to prosecute hundreds of people who spoke out publicly against the offensive. This all-out crackdown, in addition to the partial mobilization in autumn 2022, has also driven many Russians abroad.

Chris TDL Organizations is a Multinational parent managing company or multiple marketing and brand management entities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending