Connect with us

World News

Explosion in a mine in Turkey: 28 dead, dozens of workers trapped underground

Published

on

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / October 15, 2022

Rescuers are trying to save dozens of workers still trapped underground after an explosion in a coal mine that killed at least 28 people and injured 28 others in northwestern Turkey, where President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will visit.

 
Our wish is that the loss of life will not be higher and that our miners can be saved,” Erdogan said in a tweet on Friday evening.
 
The explosion occurred at 6:15 p.m. local time on Friday in a mine in the Black Sea town of Amasra, killing 28 people, according to a new report by Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca on Twitter, who said 11 people who had been pulled out of the mine were being treated in hospital.
 
Rescue teams were working to try to save several dozen workers trapped in galleries located 300 and 350 meters below sea level.
 
According to Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu, 49 of the 110 miners were trapped underground at the time of the explosion.
 
“We are really in front of a sad picture”, described Mr. Soylu who went urgently to the scene of the tragedy with the Turkish Minister of Energy, Fatih Donmez.
 
According to the first observations, it is a firedamp,” explained Donmez.
 
Afad, Turkey’s state disaster management agency, had initially reported on Twitter that a faulty transformer was the cause of the explosion, before retracting and explaining that methane gas had ignited for “unknown reasons ».
 
In images broadcast by the Turkish media from the mine entrance, family members of the trapped miners could be seen, many in tears, while rescue workers provided oxygen to the workers who had emerged from the mine and transported them to the nearest hospitals.
 
“I don’t know what happened,” a miner who was able to get out of the tunnels unharmed on his own told Anadolu news agency. “There was a sudden pressure and I couldn’t see anything.”
 
As the explosion occurred shortly before sunset, rescue operations were slowed by darkness.
 
Nearly half of the workers have been evacuated. Most of them are fine, but there are also some seriously injured,” the mayor of Amasra, Recai Cakir, told the private Turkish channel NTV.
  
According to the local governor, a team of more than 70 people managed to reach a point in the well located at a depth of about 250 meters. It is not known if the rescuers can get any closer to the trapped workers.
 
An accident investigation has been opened by the local prosecutor’s office.
Workplace accidents are frequent in Turkey, where the strong economic development of the past decade has often been at the expense of safety rules, particularly in construction and mining.
 
The country became acutely aware of this in 2014 when 301 miners were killed in a coal mine in Soma, in the west of the country, after an explosion and fire caused the collapse of a shaft.
 
Sentences of up to 22 years and six months in prison were handed down by the Turkish judiciary against five mine officials, found guilty of negligence.

Chris TDL Organizations is a Multinational parent managing company or multiple marketing and brand management entities.

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending