Connect with us

World News

Elections in Italy: victorious coalition of conservatives, post-fascists and the far right promises to govern for all Italians

Published

on

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Sylvie Claire / September 26, 2022

We will govern for all Italians”: the leader of the Italian far right Giorgia Meloni, who wants to become Prime Minister after her victory in Sunday’s parliamentary elections, has tried to reassure in the face of concerns expressed in her country and abroad.
 
After Sweden, the far right is making a new breakthrough in Europe, where for the first time since 1945 a post-fascist party finds itself at the gates of power.
By remaining in opposition to all the governments that have succeeded each other since the 2018 legislative elections, Fratelli d’Italia (FdI) has established itself as the main alternative, rising from 4.3% to a quarter of the vote, according to initial projections, becoming the first party on the peninsula.
“Italians have sent a clear message in favour of a right-wing government led by Fratelli d’Italia,” reacted Ms. Meloni, affirming her ambition to become Prime Minister.
 
We will govern for all” Italians, she promised. “We will do so with the aim of uniting the people,” she added in a speech of rallying and appeasement, acknowledging that the election campaign had been “violent and aggressive.”
The coalition she is forming with the other far-right eurosceptic party, Matteo Salvini’s League, and Forza Italia, Silvio Berlusconi’s conservative party, will win about 43% of the vote, which will give her an absolute majority of seats in both the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate.
The formation founded in late 2012 by Giorgia Meloni with dissidents of Berlusconism is ahead of the Democratic Party (PD, left) of Enrico Letta, which failed to generate a useful vote to block the far right and falls below the 20% mark, in a context of low turnout (64.07%, compared to 73.86% in 2018).
The vice president of the PD Debora Seracchiani recognized the “victory of the right led by Giorgia Meloni”, which marks “a sad evening for the country ».
 
This earthquake comes two weeks after the victory in Sweden of a conservative bloc including the Sweden Democrats (SD), a party with a neo-Nazi background that has made a strong breakthrough, becoming the Nordic country’s largest right-wing party.
In what was perceived in Rome as a warning, the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, recalled on Thursday that the EU has “instruments” to sanction member states that violate the rule of law and its common values.
“The Italians have offered a lesson in humility to the European Union, which, through the voice of Ms. von der Leyen, claimed to dictate their vote,” said on Twitter the president of the French National Rally Jordan Bardella.
Brussels’ bête noire, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and his Polish counterpart Mateusz Morawiecki also sent their “congratulations” to Ms. Meloni on Sunday evening.
Mr. Orban, through his political director, Member of Parliament Balazs Orban, added this message: “We need more than ever friends who share a common vision and approach to Europe. Meloni “has shown the way to a proud and free Europe of sovereign nations,” said Santiago Abascal, leader of the far-right Spanish party VOX.
 
Fratelli d’Italia owes its success as much to the wind of “degagism” blowing across the peninsula as to the charisma of its leader.
This 45-year-old Roman woman, who as a young activist said she admired Mussolini, has succeeded in de-demonizing her image and rallying around her name the fears and anger of millions of Italians in the face of soaring prices, unemployment, the threat of recession and the negligence of public services.
The next government will have to deal with the crisis caused by galloping inflation, as Italy is already burdened with a debt of 150% of GDP, the highest ratio in the euro zone after Greece.
In this country of chronic governmental instability, experts already agree on the short life expectancy of the victorious coalition, a marriage of reason between three allies with competing ambitions.
For Ms. Meloni, “the challenge will be to transform her electoral success into government leadership that can last, that is the great unknown,” said Lorenzo De Sio, professor of political science at Luiss University in Rome, on Sunday evening.
 
Ms. Meloni, who has no government experience other than a brief stint at the Ministry of Youth (2008-2011), will have her work cut out for her to manage her bulky, much more experienced allies: Silvio Berlusconi has been head of government several times and Matteo Salvini, Minister of the Interior and Deputy Prime Minister.
In the Ukrainian issue, Europe and Italy’s allies, as a member of NATO, will also scrutinize the distribution of portfolios among the three parties. While Giorgia Meloni is an Atlanticist and supports the sanctions against Moscow, Mr. Salvini is opposed to them.

Chris TDL Organizations is a Multinational parent managing company or multiple marketing and brand management entities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack

Published

on

Moscow attack: Vladimir Putin promises those responsible will all be “punished”, EI says four of its fighters carried out the attack, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Eva Deschamps / March 23,

 

At least 133 people were killed on Friday evening in an armed attack followed by a huge fire at a concert hall on the outskirts of Moscow, which was claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State (EI).
 
The four perpetrators” of the attack were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, said the Russian president on Saturday March 23.
 
The Russian president spoke at a time of terrible tragedy in Russia. “The four perpetrators” of the attack near Moscow were arrested “on their way to Ukraine”, he said in a televised speech broadcast the day after the murderous attack. “According to initial data [from investigators], on the Ukrainian side, a passage had been prepared for them to cross the border”, he continued, notes Le Monde.
 
The attack, which killed at least 133 people near Moscow, was in the eyes of the Kremlin leader a “bloody and barbaric act of terrorism”. “Peaceful, innocent people […] including children, teenagers and women” were killed, he continued, adding, “I express my deepest and most sincere condolences to those who have lost their loved ones.” A national day of mourning will be observed on March 24.
 
“War”. In his speech, Vladimir Putin assured that “those behind these terrorists will be punished” and that they “will have no future”. On Saturday, the Kremlin announced that eleven people had been arrested, including the four suspects who carried out the attack.

 
As a reminder, the Islamic State (EI) claimed responsibility for the attack. Its Afghan branch, the Islamic State in Khorassan, known as “EI-K”, is suspected of being behind the attack. According to EI, the attack is part of a “raging war” between the organization and countries fighting Islam, its Amaq news agency said in a statement.
Continue Reading

World News

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis

Published

on

Princess Kate announces cancer diagnosis, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Sylvie Claire / March 23,

 

After weeks of silence from the British royal family, cancer-stricken Princess Kate has announced that she has begun chemotherapy.

 
Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer, Kensington Palace announced on Friday evening. The wife of the heir to the British throne has begun chemotherapy. “I’m fine,” assured the 42-year-old princess after her cancer diagnosis was announced. In a video, the princess explained, “I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding. While I was recovering from surgery, it was an incredibly difficult two months for the whole family. But I had the benefit of a fantastic medical team who took great care of me, for which I am very grateful. In January, I underwent a major domino operation in London and, at the time, my condition was not thought to be cancerous“.
 
She continues: “The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer. My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. William and I have done everything in our power to manage this situation privately, in the best interests of our young family“.
 

Princess Kate explains that it has taken them some time to explain the situation to their children George, Charlotte and Louis. She concludes her message: “But for now, I need to focus on my full recovery. I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For anyone facing this disease in any form, don’t lose faith or hide. You are not alone.

Advertisement

 

She underwent major abdominal surgery on January 16 at the London Clinic, where she was hospitalized for ten days. For weeks, rumors had been circulating about the princess’s state of health.
Continue Reading

World News

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!

Published

on

Dragon Ball: a theme park inspired by Toriyama’s universe is coming soon!, Magnate Daily
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Steph Deschamps / March 23,

 

The world’s first theme park inspired by the world of the famous Japanese manga and anime series Dragon Ball is to be built in a future leisure city in Saudi Arabia, the developer of this colossal project announced on Friday.
 
The planned opening date of this 500,000 m2 theme park was not specified, nor was its cost, as is usually the case for the Saudi kingdom’s tourism megaprojects.
 
Located in Qiddiya, near the capital Riyadh, the park will feature seven different zones from the Dragon Ball universe, around 30 attractions as well as hotels and restaurants, according to a press release from Qiddiya Investment Company, also issued by Japanese studio Toei Animation, producer of the franchise’s cartoons.
 
The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama on March 1 at the age of 68 provoked a worldwide wave of emotion, reflecting the immense popularity of his work.

 
First published in 1984, Dragon Ball is one of the best-selling mangas of all time, and has spawned countless animated series, films and video games. It recounts the adventures of Son Goku, a young martial arts prodigy in search of seven crystal balls to help him and his allies protect the Earth from evil enemies.
 
The new town of Qiddiya is one of the pharaonic projects in Saudi Arabia’s “Vision 2030” program, designed to develop the country’s tourism industry and reduce its economy’s heavy dependence on hydrocarbons.
 
Qiddiya will eventually house several theme parks, sports facilities and cultural venues. Construction of the city began in 2019, but its completion date is not known.
Continue Reading

Trending